LONDON – Graham Thorpe said his selection in England’s 16-man squad forthe forthcoming Ashes tour of Australia represented the
AFP11-Sep-2002LONDON – Graham Thorpe said his selection in England’s 16-man squad forthe forthcoming Ashes tour of Australia represented the “biggestchallenge” of his career.Surrey left-hander Thorpe, 33, has not played a senior match sincetaking an indefinite break from all cricket following England’s firstTest victory over India at Lord’s in July.That move was prompted by the collapse of Thorpe’s marriage andquestions over access arrangements to his two young children Henry,five, and Amelia, three.Since taking time out Thorpe, who earlier in the season announced hisretirement from international one-day cricket, has had several meetingswith the selectors.And they showed that Thorpe, who impressively averages over 45 againstAustralia, had persuaded them that he was mentally ready for the rigoursof a five Test trip ‘down under’ by including him in the tour party.Thorpe conceded that this represented a leap of faith on the selectors’part, one he was eager to reward.”This is as big a challenge as there’s been at this stage of my career,”said Thorpe in an interview on BBC Radio’s Sport on Five programmeTuesday.”It’s a great opportunity for me to start up again and work with theother players in the England cricket team again.”For a long time I was unsure whether I would be able to go given therecent circumstances. I’ve been lucky the selectors have been sounderstanding because I’m sure they’ll see it as a bit of a gamble.”I always said that once things settled down off the field I would beable to make a clear decision about whether I could go to Australia.”Thorpe added that improved relations between himself and his estrangedwife had eased his situation. “I don’t see too many problems off thefield, it’s become very amicable between the two parties.”Last winter was a difficult time but these things happen to all sortsof people. I have had a lot of publicity about my problems which isperhaps why I’ve found it difficult to deal with.”Thorpe hopes to return to senior cricket Wednesday by playing foralready crowned county champions Surrey against Hampshire at the RoseBowl and said his time away from the game had made him reconsider hiscareer.”Being away for five or six weeks sorting out my personal life has alsogiven me a lot of spare time and I’ve realised I’m fortunate to havebeen given this chance,” said Thorpe.”The most important thing is that my commitment and work levels arehigh. No one can guarantee success on the field but you can prepare inthe right way and I want to get back playing for England.”If I didn’t believe I could play cricket for three months knowing whatcould happen during that time I wouldn’t have put my name in the hat.”I have the ability to play at the highest level and I want to play atthe highest level and it’s important I’m committed in all areas.”